My mom bought me this pattern about a year and a half ago. My skin is very sensitive to the sun and I wear sun hats all summer. She thought it would be nice to make my own. I found some fun butterfly (I love butterflies) fabric that looked like a curtain in progress at half price day at the GoodWill which I paid about $2 for. I found some nylon butterflies at the dollar store that were meant for flower arrangements and decor. It took me a little while to determine how I was going to attach them to the hat. Then I remembered that I had a bunch of pin backs. So I just wired the butterflies to a pin back and pinned it to the hat.
The pattern was very easy to put together and the instructions were clear. It uses duck cloth for the lining so the brim is sturdy. I only used two layers of duck cloth ( the instructions said three) as I had bought a remnant and did not have enough for three. It seems to have worked OK though. Not as sturdy as some but enough. I like my hats a little floppy anyway.